I love Ireland’s sense of humour! Where can I go for a laugh?

I love Ireland’s sense of humour! Where can I go for a laugh?

Author
Posted Fri 28 Apr 2023 11:00 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Tue 19 Mar 2024 2:27 PM Visits: 640
It’s true, we’re a funny bunch if we do say so ourselves. You can find the “craic” – which is another name for fun and entertainment – anywhere from a train station in County Antrim to a local corner shop in County Cork! Our comedians are famous all over the world, too, with Chris O’Dowd, Aisling Bea, Brendan O’Carroll and Graham Norton, to name just a few. But to guarantee a laugh on your visit to Ireland, you should visit one of our comedy clubs, where many comedians began their successful careers. 

Chicken Box Comedy Club in the city of Derry~Londonderry puts on a great show every three out of four Thursdays a month (they’re closed on the first Thursday of every month). This club is award-winning and boasts both the Chortle Luminaries of Lockdown Award 2021 and the Foyle Pride Helen Harris Freedom Award 2018. Comedians travel across the country and even the world to perform at this comedy club, which has its home in Bennigans Bar on John Street, and the really great news is that it’s free entry (although to make sure you have a seat, it’s best to book through Eventbrite). 

Head to Cork city for City Limits Comedy Club which has been running for over 25 years! This establishment has space for 200 people yet they still manage to capture that important intimacy between the comedian and the audience. A few famous faces started off their comedy careers here, including Tommy Tiernan, Dara Ó Briain, Colm Murphy and Jason Byrne. This was even the place where Tommy Tiernan decided to film his comedy show, Crooked Man. 

Dublin is a hive of activity when it comes to having a laugh. For starters, The Craic Den Comedy Club offers comedy four nights a week throughout their two venues: The Workmans Club on Ashton Quay and Mulligan and Haines on Dame Street. Read about each of the Craic Den Comedy Club’s performances online, so you know that you’re going to a show with exactly the kind of jokes you like. Check out the International Bar on Wicklow Street which hosts hilarious comedians on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays upstairs at their 200-year-old bar. And, while you’re at it, take a look at the comedy acts coming to Vicar Street. It’s fair to say that Vicar Street is well-versed in the art of putting on a good show, as this popular venue has hosted hundreds of shows since opening its doors in 1998! 

If you’re looking for a laugh in a more intimate setting, Ireland’s Smallest Comedy Club is a great place to check out… Located in the heart of Galway city’s Latin Quarter in the Dew Drop Inn on Maingard Street, you have the chance to laugh with up-and-coming acts from both Ireland and further afield every Thursday night. Book this cosy event in advance via Eventbrite. 

And if you’re brave enough to have a go yourself, there’s an open mic comedy night every Tuesday at Our Wee Comedy Club upstairs in Maddens Bar in Belfast city. Taking part is easy, you just need to sign the sheet and then wait for your turn to get up on stage. You can book your tickets on Eventbrite but entry is free for those participating, and if that wasn’t tempting enough, there’s also a mystery headliner! 

A comedy festival is a great way of getting to see lots of comedians at the same time, and they’re always known for their electric atmosphere! The island of Ireland hosts a few throughout the year, including the Galway Comedy Festival, the Bray Comedy Festival in County Wicklow, and the Kilkenny Cat Laughs Comedy Festival in County Kilkenny. The Cathedral Quarter Arts Festival in Belfast is also a good one for great comedy acts. 

Immerse yourself in our island’s sense of humour, you won’t be disappointed. Does the community have any favourite places to go for a laugh?
Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 12 Oct 2023 7:17 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 27 Oct 2023 5:03 PM Visits: 58
Try Pure Cork for a list of comedy events locally...

https://www.purecork.ie/whats-on/categories/theatre-comedy

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 13 Oct 2023 12:23 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:33 PM Visits: 660
Hi Dara,

Thanks for the good tip!

Regards,
Eoin
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 17 Oct 2023 2:20 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (3.3K reputation)Industry Member (3.3K reputation)Industry Member (3.3K reputation)Industry Member (3.3K reputation)Industry Member (3.3K reputation)Industry Member (3.3K reputation)Industry Member (3.3K reputation)Industry Member (3.3K reputation)Industry Member (3.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 18
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 14 Dec 2023 3:10 PM Visits: 240
Ireland is a country known for its warm hospitality, rich history, and stunning landscapes. However it is also home to some of the world's most famous and welcoming pubs. Beyond just serving pints, these pubs are cultural sanctuaries where laughter echoes through the walls, and the clinking of glasses accompanies hearty chuckles. 

Here you can find a list of our favourite pubs in Dublin to get you started 👇🏼

Best Traditional Irish Pubs in Dublin ☘️