Another fabulous trip

Another fabulous trip

Author
Posted Sat 1 Jun 2024 5:16 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (249 reputation)I'm into this (249 reputation)I'm into this (249 reputation)I'm into this (249 reputation)I'm into this (249 reputation)I'm into this (249 reputation)I'm into this (249 reputation)I'm into this (249 reputation)I'm into this (249 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 2 Jun 2024 11:48 AM Visits: 4.5K
We just returned from a 35 day long trip of which the final 23 days we spent exploring areas of Ireland we were unable to do on our last trip (1st time there). We used AirBnB the entire trip, our preference and very cost effective, plus the opportunity to meet people. This was another phenomenal trip and just when I didn't think Ireland could get any more beautiful, I am proven wrong over and over again. I'm not even close to being Irish, nor is my wife, but I feel a deep connection with the country and of course the people are wonderful, friendly always ready to offer help or just a smile and kind word. I tell everybody I know and even people I don't :) that they MUST see Ireland before anything else. We hope to come back many more times (fingers crossed) but we feel blessed to have had the opportunity for the two times we have been there. As I said earlier, our goal was to see the regions/towns we didn't see last time and here is an overview of our trip with the main sites. If anybody wants the name of the places we stayed in I would be more than happy to share them with you. Hopefully I spelled everything correctly and did not misrepresent in any way. Enjoy
3 days in Ballycastle (Co Mayo)(NI)- Giants Causeway, Dark Hedges, Carrick A Rede Bridge 
2 days in Glendalough (Co Wicklow) - Round Tower and the Glendalough Monastic city, Upper and Lower lakes, Powerscourt Falls 
3 days in Churchtown (Co Cork) - Hook Lighthouse, Johnstown Castle, Wexford (eat at The Church restaurant!)
5 days in Leap (Co Cork) * told this is considered West Cork - This area is so beautful we extended our stay and extra 2 days! - Mizen Head, Fastnet Lighthouse, Crookhaven (eat at O'Sullivans), Barley Cove Beach, town of Baltimore and the Baltimore Beacon, Cape Clear and so much more. Must stop and see the Famine Cemetery, very humbling.
3 days in Kenmare (Co Kerry) - Beara Pennisula, Ring of Kerry, Cliffs of Kerry,Torc Waterfalls, Molls Gap, Molly Gallivans, Ladies View 
3 days in Ballyvaughn (Co Clare) - The Burren, Poulnabrone Dolmen, Rathborney Church and Graveyard, Towns Liscannor and Lahinch
3 days in Sligo (Co Sligo) - On our drive from Ballvaughn we stopped for a couple of hrs in Galway (trying to find Claddagh earrings for my daughter. Success!:)) Also, did a drive to see the sites used in the movie The Quiet Man. Ate at Pat Cohans, bar from the movie. Awesome. Explored the town of Sligo, Sligo Abbey, Benbulbin,  Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery, Rosses point
1 day in Bellewstown (Co Meath) - Drove and stopped for early dinner in Navan, then just repacked and rested for our filght out the next day. Great location 30 minutes from Dublin Airport. 

Tony
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 2 Jun 2024 10:06 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 30
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:14 PM Visits: 77.2K
Just wow, Tony! Sounds like your second trip to the Emerald Isle went beyond your expectations. 💚

I can tell from your itinerary that you went all over the island AND you really got to take your time everywhere you went (between 2 and 5 days in each location is ideal). You also visited plenty of heritage and pre-christian sites, lighthouses and nature location. 🤩

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your trip and I'm sure it will serve other folks planning to spend 3 weeks here.

Cheers,
Antoine

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 2 Jun 2024 11:11 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (385 reputation)Community Expert (385 reputation)Community Expert (385 reputation)Community Expert (385 reputation)Community Expert (385 reputation)Community Expert (385 reputation)Community Expert (385 reputation)Community Expert (385 reputation)Community Expert (385 reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 30 Sep 2024 8:55 AM Visits: 3.1K
Hi Tony, 

Thank you for sharing such a heartwarming and detailed account of your recent trip to Ireland! 

Your journey through Ireland sounds truly epic. From the rugged beauty of Ballycastle and the historic marvels of Glendalough to the charming allure of West Cork and the breathtaking landscapes of the Beara Peninsula and the Burren, it seems you experienced the diverse landscapes and heritage of Ireland. 

Of all the places you visited, was there a particular moment or location that stood out to you as the highlight of your trip?

Cathaoir 
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 16 Sep 2024 8:16 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 8 Oct 2024 5:07 AM Visits: 54
That sounds like an amazing trip! Ireland is just breathtakingly beautiful. I'm glad you got to explore some new areas this time around. Using AirBnB is such a great way to stay more locally too. West Cork in particular sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing all the places you visited - definitely giving me some new spots to check out if I get the chance to see Ireland someday soon. It's so cool you've been able to go back multiple times now. Fingers crossed you get to return again!