I'm visiting Down, and I want to try some long-distance walking trails - can you recommend any?

I'm visiting Down, and I want to try some long-distance walking trails...

Author
Posted Thu 1 Dec 2016 5:13 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
County Down is a beautiful part of the world, with gorgeous beaches, stunning mountains and lovely towns all situated very near one another. It’s also got numerous walking trails to suit everyone. The walks offered take you through some of the prettiest places to visit in the area.

We’d suggest that you begin with the Mourne Mountains. They're Northern Ireland's highest mountain range and one of the most dramatic, particularly in winter – after all, this is the very place that is thought to have inspired CS Lewis to create Narnia in The Chronicles of Narnia. The mountains are packed with an enormous network of paths and trails so you can pick a walk that suits you – check out Walk NI’s blog, which is a fantastic resource for information on hikes both in the Mournes and beyond.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/01-12-2016/c542f274-db22-4767-b9c6-196a.jpg

A great long-distance option is the 26-mile Mourne Way, which can be done in sections or altogether. Or for a shorter option try the outstanding Slieve Binnian route (7 miles), which takes you past the Mourne Wall, a beautiful dry-stone wall that runs for 22 miles and was built in the 1930s. The Slieve Binnian route is particularly stunning in winter, with a breathtaking view from the summit.

If rugged mountain hiking isn’t your thing but you’d still like to get a long-distance walk, we’d suggest the Newcastle Way. This 28-mile loop covers quiet forests – including the iconic Game of Thrones location Tollymore Forest Park – long country laneways and the striking Newcastle beach. It’s also close enough to the town of Newcastle that you can finish up your journey in a cute café with a nice cup of tea. The Newcastle Way is accessible to all walkers, and can be also done in sections.