Seeking court records

Seeking court records

Author
Posted Mon 13 Mar 2017 11:56 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Ireland Family History Expert Session with Findmypast.

We host Expert Sessions regularly on theFacebook page so keep an eye out for the next one!

Question from Patty McDonald: My grandmother, Mary O'Donnell, was born to Joseph O'Donnell and Anne McGinty in 1903 in Tonragee- Achill. Anne passed away after childbirth. My grandmother's maternal grandparents, Patrick and Mary McGinty of Saula took her from her father. My grandmother was the only daughter. I heard that one of her brothers died due to getting burned and that although it healed to the size of a quarter it may have been a contributing factor. Her father tried to regain custody, but it was not granted. Are there court records that may give us a better understanding and if so, how would we go about retrieving them?

Answer from Findmypast: The main sources for tracing disputes around custody of children are recorded in the Board of Guardian Minute Books for the Poor Law Union they were living in. These are held in Mayo County Library. It's also possible the case was looked at by the Councty Council, whose records should also be with the county library.