Motorhome Wild Camping

Motorhome Wild Camping

Author
Posted Mon 27 Mar 2017 7:14 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
We are planning a trip to Ireland in our motorhome and would like to know if it's possible to "wild camp" by the roadside or beach.
Thanks
George

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 27 Mar 2017 10:41 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi George,

Welcome to the community.

There are plenty of places throughout Ireland where it is possible to stop overnight with a motorhome, take a look at this link to an article on our website Caravan and Camping culture. There, you will find a link to Camping Ireland's web page, which has loads of information on sites available.

Wild camping is not uncommon around the country, just be aware that local authorities may have bye-laws prohibiting in certain areas or times of the year. I have found some links to Bunk Campers and Total Camping Ireland that have some more information you will find useful.

Here is a link to another thread with information on 5 must see Camping sites. 

I'm sure our community members will have some more helpful suggestions too!

I hope you enjoy your stay wherever you stop for the night.

Warm regards

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 28 Mar 2017 9:04 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Martin
Many thanks really useful.

George

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 29 Mar 2017 9:54 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 5 hours ago Visits: 21.9K
Hi George,
I had a look through the Community and came across the below posts which might help you planning your trip -
Caravan Sites along the Wild Atlantic Way
5 Day Camping Itinerary South East Ireland
Caravan Touring
I would like to try camping in Ireland - what do I need to know?
Enjoy your trip!

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 29 Mar 2017 7:04 PM
View Quick Profile
Thanks Christoph I'll have a look through these.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 12 Apr 2017 11:49 AM
View Quick Profile

Firstly apologies for delay in replying to you but I have had problems accessing our account.

There are over 150 quality approved caravan & camping parks throughout the Island of Ireland.  All have been inspected and graded and meet the highest standards.  We recommend at all times you stay in an approved site to ensure safety and comfort.
Over 90 of these sites are featured on our website www.campingireland.ie and are dotted right around the country.  We also have an App which you can download and will provide information and advice as you are travelling around the country.

Hope this information will be of help

Regards

Aideen - Camping Ireland

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 4 Feb 2018 4:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi George, we are similarly planning a trip to Ireland in a motorhome in May and much prefer ‘wild’ camping. I’m wondering if you found plenty places to stopover? I also believe I saw mention somewhere of a guide to legal stopover sites which is available to buy but I can’t now find reference to it. Did you come across this?
Thanks. Linda
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 5 Feb 2018 10:16 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Linda
Our guide features over 90 sites throughout Ireland that have been inspected and approved by the relevant tourism authority.  You can order a copy of the guide through our website www.campingireland.ie 
Regards

Aideen Flynn
Camping Ireland

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 6 Feb 2018 12:00 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Linda,

Is this your first time in Ireland?

We do have brochures and maps that you can downloads or order via our website, Ireland.com.
Camping Ireland also has a booklet with all the camping listed, you should find it via the website they mentioned.

Regarding stops along your way, have you already thought of an itinerary?
As Aideen mentioned, they have a full list of available campsite across the island that I am sure will be of great help.
Regarding the Wild Camping are you thinking of Motorhome parking and Aires de Services as an option?

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 7 Feb 2018 12:07 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Linda,

Whether you’re looking for boho glamping glamour, wild and wonderful, or an outdoorsy digital detox for all the family, you’ll find something to suit in our pick of camping spots from around Ireland. Ireland offers the ideal backdrop for all your camping needs, sea, lakes, rivers, countryside and mountains. 

The top spots we would suggest would be: 

• Eagle Point Caravan and Camping Bantry Cork, Campers will enjoy waking up to the sound of the sea, birds singing and the soothing sounds of nature. If you are looking for calm, serenity and view, then this is the place for you!

• Ocean Island Caravan Park, Hook Peninsula, Wexford this campsite is set in the heart of the Hook Peninsula in Co Wexford. An area is best known for its historic significance, scenic views and its beautiful sandy beaches. This is the perfect spot for a family or active holiday, there is plenty of activities from horse riding to pony trekking and of course fishing and swimming.

• Pure Camping, Kilkee, Clare, Pure camping offer cosy eco-friendly camping, their campsite is south-facing and overlooks the Shannon Estuary and native woodland in the foreground. Explore trails through the woods, Take a mindful Labyrinth walk or try a Yoga class in their charming Yoga room).

• Hidden Valley Holiday Park, WicklowHidden Valley is a serene haven of relaxation. It is set in a beautiful valley with sites overlooking the tranquil waters of the Avonmore River and a glassy, private lake.
We hope you find this post useful and enjoy your time in Ireland. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Best Wishes,

The Team at Car Rental Ireland