I’m planning to spend a weekend in Belfast. What are the best day trips from the city?

I’m planning to spend a weekend in Belfast. What are the best day...

Author
Posted Tue 18 Jul 2017 5:26 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Belfast is a wonderful, lively city – and there’s lots to do in the surrounding areas too. One of the most popular is the infamous Giant’s Causeway. If you haven’t heard of it before, you might’ve seen pictures of its unique hexagonal stones spread out along the coastline. It’s only about an hour and 20 minute drive from the city, and there are a number of tour buses that depart daily from the city as well. Try Paddywagon Tours or Allen’s Belfast Bus Tours.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/18-07-2017/7afa12cf-ef5f-420c-adb6-3535.jpg

If you’re a Game of Thrones® fan, then you’re in luck! Northern Ireland is home to many of the filming locations of the show: the Dark Hedges (the Kingsroad, which Arya Stark travels down), Mussenden Temple and Downhill Beach (where Melisandre proclaims Stannis Baratheon as the champion of the Lord of Light) and Castle Ward (Winterfell, home of the Starks) It’s easy to feel like you’ve stepped into your screen and entered Westeros. It’s hard to visit every Game of Thrones site in just one day, but there’s a three-day trip idea that could help you plan a way to see them all.

For the adventurers and thrill seekers, check out the Gobbins Cliff Path – this is a walk on the edge of the world! The rugged path hugs the cliff face and takes you across awesome bridges, through hidden tunnels and into sea caves once used by smugglers. The path only takes about two and a half hours to complete start to finish, but it’s best to wear good hiking shoes and prepare yourself for a few steep climbs. If you’re looking do to more afterwards, try checking out the nearby Brown’s Bay Beach in Ferris Bay or the ancient remains of Ballylumford Dolmen.  

So you see, there are plenty of ways to explore the beauty of Northern Ireland using Belfast as your base!

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 17 Nov 2019 2:07 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (344 reputation)I'm into this (344 reputation)I'm into this (344 reputation)I'm into this (344 reputation)I'm into this (344 reputation)I'm into this (344 reputation)I'm into this (344 reputation)I'm into this (344 reputation)I'm into this (344 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 7
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 25 Jul 2022 8:22 PM Visits: 12
Below is the list of the Top Things to Do when in Belfast City.
Visit the Belfast City Hall
Titanic Belfast
Hillsborough Forest
Mount Stewart
Belfast Zoological Gardens
Exploris Aquarium
Game Of Thrones Locations 
Beacon of Hope Crumlin Road Goal
Castle Ward
Ulster Museum
Black Taxi Tours and more
For more Belfast city attractions please visit the official tourism website of Belfast.
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 23 Nov 2019 12:01 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 18
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 26 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 60
We really enjoyed our day trip from Belfast to Bangor, a seaside town best visited in Spring or Summer. It's easy to incorporate this day trip into a weekend to Belfast from Dublin. Belfast to Bangor takes about an hour by train.

If you enjoy birdwatching, keep an eye out for black guillemots nesting in the cracks in the concrete along the seafront. The Bangor Castle walled garden was definitely our favorite place to visit in Bangor. Hike through the slightly eerie forest behind Bangor Castle until you emerge at the walled garden. Explore well-coiffed flower beds and other plantings with perhaps a sculpture or two mixed in.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

Jennifer (aka Dr. J)
Sidewalk Safari Blog
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 24 Nov 2019 2:47 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Jennifer, 

A trip to Bangor from Belfast is a great recommendation! :) I love the view from the train, and it is so easy to get there. There are lovely restaurants and views in this seaside town, and if I have the time I walk back along the coast to beautiful Helen's Bay. Have you ever been there before? Crawfordsburn Country Park has everything from green forests, beaches and waterfalls, as well as stunning views of Belfast Lough.

Another personal favourite is a day trip to Newcastle and the Mourne Mountains. The trails there are wonderful to explore all year round. 
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 25 Nov 2019 6:57 AM
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)Forum Guru (1.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 18
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 26 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 60
I have not been to Helen's Bay nor Crawfordsburn Country Park. Thanks for the suggestions! Adding to my list for the next time I travel to the North.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 25 Nov 2019 11:01 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Cool! Feel free to share pictures and experiences from your next trip to the north. :) I'm sure our other members would love to see them too. 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 10 Dec 2019 7:44 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I have a couple of suggestions depending if you don't have access to a car. If you're reliant on public transport how about visiting the Ulster Folk and Transport Museums in Cultra fifteen minutes from Belfast by train? There's a half hourly service from the main Belfast train stations to Cultra and it's a 7 minute walk to the museums. The Folk Museum has a range of old buildings from all over the North of Ireland reconstructed in the grounds. These range from cottages to schoolhouses to shops and you'll often see traditional crafts being practised in many of these buildings. The Transport Museum has a fantastic transport collection from trains to cars and motorcycles- they even have a DeLorean sports car! Both are open Tuesday- Sunday. 

Once you've finished your visit to the museums hop back on the train for a couple of stops and jump off at Holywood. This is a lively little town which is a great shopping and eating spot. You're spoilt for choice with some really excellent cafes, pubs and some fine dining restaurants. Hope this helps and enjoy your visit to Belfast