A cost efficient way to take a 6.1 metre motor caravan to the West coast of Ireland.

A cost efficient way to take a 6.1 metre motor caravan to the West...

Author
Posted Tue 15 Aug 2017 5:02 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I would like to tour the West coast of Ireland in a motor caravan 6.1 meters in length in October 2017 and I live near Oxford England.  I have never taken a motor caravan to Ireland and wonder if anyone could tell me which is the most cost efficient way to take my vehicle for a few weeks. 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 15 Aug 2017 8:10 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hello, Brian.

How lovely to hear that you are thinking of coming over to see us in your motor caravan. We get a lot of visitors with motor homes who travel the Wild Atlantic Way, a stunning part of the country.

I have a link from our website with regard to finding ferries, take a look and see what best suits your needs. I'm sure our fellow members will be able to advise on their previous travels which they found to work the best.

We also have another community post with regard to Wild Camping and some great information on camp sites which may be of use to you as well.

Have you any itinerary already planned, or is it still open for change?

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 15 Aug 2017 11:27 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Many thanks for the information Martin.  My planning is at an early stage in that I’ve not mentioned it to my wife yet.  My primary reason for the visit is to look in at Skibbereen where my father was born in 1811.  I know that I have a few relatives there.  Regards,  Brian  
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 16 Aug 2017 9:47 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 2 hours ago Visits: 22K
Hi Brian,
Nice to hear about your plans. I had a look through previous posts/ replies within our ireland.com Community and have come across the below posts, which cover a similar topic and hopefully will give you some more details & help - 
Tool Road Charges
Caravan Sites along the Wild Atlantic Way
5 Must Visit Camping Sites
Motorhome Wild Camping
5 Day Camping Itinerary South East Eire
Camping Ireland
Giant’s Causeway
Caravan Touring

I hope the above will help with your plans.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 16 Aug 2017 10:53 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Brian, Delighted to see that you are interested in visiting in Ireland with your motorhome.  Both Irish Ferries and Stena Line operate services into the Dublin and Rosslare in the South East.  They will both probably be offering good rates for travel in September.  You will find details on parks throughout Ireland on our website www.campingireland.ie I see you are particularly interested in visiting Skibbereen.  The Hideaway Camping & Caravan Park is a great 4 star park located just 1km from the town.  You can also order a copy of our 2017 guide through our websitel
Kind regards
Aideen Flynn
Camping Ireland
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 30 Aug 2017 1:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Brian,

How are you?

Thought to reach out and check on how the planning is going.

Do not hesitate to keep us updated and reach out if you need help 😊

Elodie
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 30 Aug 2017 3:21 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm still pulling things together and got diverted onto something I'm writing about the Chinese situation. 
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 31 Aug 2017 11:19 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Brian,

Not to worry!  It happens - thankfully, our community is here to help you at any point throughout your planning stage.

I have created a little Scrapbook for you to browse when the opportunity arises - It has some helpful ideas and suggestions, some of which have already been mentioned, although this time all the information is in one place for you to check out at any time.  You can check it out here.

I hope your plans start to come together nicely and as always, do not hesitate to touch base with us again if there is anything more our Community can help you with.  Be sure to keep us updated.

All the very best,

Colin