Which City to visit for a week?...

Which City to visit for a week?...

Author
Posted Thu 9 Aug 2018 1:17 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello,

My name is Brian, 41, single. traveling solo. I am looking for a personal getaway.  One town where I can settle in for a week where everything is in walking distance.  I don't want to go to Dublin by myself, I feel for whatever reason its too touristy.  Basically looking for some sites, some good food, some good pubs (I have a penchant for the drink! so pubs are important), some good people, a round of golf in there would be nice.  Somewhere to feel comfortable and relaxed.  Maybe have a chat with a pretty Irish girl wouldn't hurt :)  

If I just described everywhere in Ireland, than just shoot me your best idea.

I appreciate any and all opinions!
Thanks,
Brian Kelly
USA (please don't hold that against me!)

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 9 Aug 2018 8:54 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Brian, 

That sounds like a wonderful idea! Using one city or town as your base is a great way to explore the area. There are loads of places that fit your description, but I'm happy to recommend some of my favourites. :)

Have you considered staying in Galway? This lively city on the west coast of the island has recently been awarded with the status of European Region of Gastronomy for 2018, and you can find some fantastic trad music pubs there. The surrounding area is absolutely spectacular, and you can easily go on a day trip or play a round of golf.

Another option would be Belfast on the east coast in Northern Ireland. The capital city is filled with magnificent pubs and great music, and you can go and explore some amazing sights from the city. Game of Thrones has used the Northern Irish landscape as a film set several times, and it is not difficult to see why. You can also tee off at some world famous golf courses here. :) 

These are just a few suggestions, and I hope some of our other members can provide you with some recommendations and ideas. If there is anything else you need, please feel free to get in touch!

Warm regards, 

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 10 Aug 2018 1:09 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you so much Melin!

I am looking hard at Galway.  I think that checks a lot of boxes. 

I am also looking at Cork.  Lower key?  Ambiance?

I'll preface all this with this being my first trip to Ireland, and am not sold on hustle and bustle necessarily, just maybe more down played fun and more simple essence.  

Brian 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 10 Aug 2018 10:48 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Brian

Greetings from Canada. We just returned and I would also suggest Killarney for one week. They have golf course as well there are lots of side excursions should you be interested that are literally right there. As an example the Ring of Kerry can be done in a day with some great hidden side treks as well as you can do the Dingle peninsula in a day too (actually more stunning). There are amazing beaches and a really amazing one in the Dingle loop. Plus you could consider going to Ventry for a day on the water and even over to Basken Island. Killarney has some amazing pubs is super quaint not too big and has lots of trad music. Great area for outdoor (hiking) exploring. We loved Galway too - it is very folky. And Belfast was great too as it is close to lots of cool attractions a couple of hours away however Belfast is more N/A urban of all the cities/villages we visited in Ireland.

Enjoy!
Melanie
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 13 Aug 2018 2:52 PM
View Quick Profile
Excellent info.  Thank you Melanie!
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 13 Aug 2018 4:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Brian, 

Cork is definitely a good option as well! :) When you're there, make sure to visit the English Market for delicious local produce and imported goods.

Let us know if there's anything else you need. We're always here to help! 

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 1 Dec 2018 9:42 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 34
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 3:54 PM Visits: 13.9K
Hi Brian!

Are you still planning on visiting us? If you're still looking for other inspiration, please have a look at these threads:

I hope to hear from you soon!