West coast (Kinsale-Galway)

West coast (Kinsale-Galway)

Author
Posted Thu 15 Nov 2018 12:31 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hiya all,

I'm doing already some research on my Ireland holiday, somewhere in August or September 2019.
We will fly to Cork, rent a car and after 2 weeks fly back from Cork (to the Netherlands).

Roughly speaking our planning is:
- Cork (city)
- Cobh
- Kinsale
- Galway
- Doolin
- Cliffs of Moher
- Moreless last 5 days spent in Tralee/Killarney to meet up with friends

I was wondering if you have any suggestions for us what we definitely need to see/do along this road. Maybe somewhere between Kinsale and Galway, because that's a pretty long road. And maybe a very nice small town to spend the night
We've seen already most of Kerry sightseeing (which we loved very much), so we're now looking for other great things to see outside Kerry. Of course not too far away from our destinations.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/15-11-2018/70857a18-d4a6-4f0e-afa8-50b1.png

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Nov 2018 1:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
Hi Padraigh
Nice to meet you :)  It may appear slightly biased, but I would recommend that you base yourself for at least 1-2 nights in the Burren region in Co. Clare.  This area of Ireland is like nothing you will experience anywhere else, with the amazing limestone "fields" that stretch as far as the eye can see until the rocks meet the waves of the Atlantic ocean. Known as the "Fertile Rock", the Burren is brimming with delicious local food, music and art (as well as a beautiful landscape!)

For accommodation, there are several gorgeous villages to choose from in the Burren, Doolin is famous for its traditional Irish music pubs, and (ahem) ferries to the Aran Islands ;) Nearby Lisdoonvarna is a real hidden gem with world-class food offerings from Michelin starred pubs and award winning restaurants.

Our family business is run by the 4 Garrihy brothers who started their lives as fishermen below the mighty Cliffs of Moher, and we would be delighted to show you the cliffs from the comfort of our new ship, the Star of Doolin - a great alternative to the busier option from the top at the Visitor's Centre. Why not combine the cruise with a day trip to one of the Aran Islands while you are here? 

I hope this has given you some ideas for your trip, let me know if I can help in any other way.  

Happy planning from Joan and all at Garrihys Doolin2Aran Ferries

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Nov 2018 4:03 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 9 hours ago Visits: 76K
Dag Padraigh,

How exciting that you are already planning next year's trip. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time in the south-west of Ireland! 

Between Kinsale and Galway, I can for instance recommend you to spend the night in the village of Adare in County Limerick.
Once you reach Galway, here are some recommended spots on this section of the Wild Atlantic Way, such as Loop Head for instance.

Did you manage to see the Dingle Peninsula the last time you were in County Kerry? It is definitely worth a small detour for when you'll be in Tralee.

I'd love to hear how your plans are coming along!

Vriendelijke groet,
Antoine

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 16 Nov 2018 12:13 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)

Hi Joan & Antoine,

Thank you both very much for all the information! I will have a good luck at it all. Great to receive this kind of information!

@Joan, the Burren region seems like one not to miss! And we will definitely take  trip to the Aran Island into consideration ;)
I've been once before in Doolin many years ago en I really enjoyed the traditional Irish music in the pubs, was a good craic!

@Antoine, the Loop Head looks like one to be on my planning as well and I will look at the village Adare! I've seen the Dingle Peninsula and that was really stunning, I didn't regret a moment.

A question for the both of you perhaps, what would be your advice when I'm heading to Galway, should I take the Ferry at (if I'm correct) Tarbert or take another route (via Limerick?) or perhaps take the Ferry only when I'm heading back from Galway to Kerry?

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 16 Nov 2018 1:06 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
Hi Padraigh
Glad you found it useful :) 
Once you decide how long you have to spend in an area, you can plan your route better.  The more scenic and a little slower route is to take the Tarbert - Kilimer ferry with Shannon Ferries - like ourselves, it is cheaper to book this online.  On the 25 minute crossing, you can step out of the car and enjoy a hot chocolate or coffee while you cross the estuary, you might even be lucky enough to see dolphins.
When you arrive in Kilimer, if you want to go to Loop Head, you head to Kilkee.  If you want to go to Doolin, head to Creegh - it is about 1 hour 15 minutes to Doolin from Kilimer.  Word to the wise, if you are trying to make the ferry time in Doolin, do plan on being at the pier about 30 minutes before departure to allow for delays en route and also getting parking (available at the pier at a charge).  More information here in our blog.
Adare is a lovely village, so seeing as you are returning to Kerry, you should maybe go up using one route and back using the other!
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 16 Nov 2018 7:32 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 22
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Fri 12 Apr 2024 10:28 AM Visits: 2.8K
Hi Padraigh,

I see you've received some invaluable information from Joan and Antoine already! As Joan suggested, I too think it would be a nice idea to try out both routes - the ferry from Killimer to Tarbert and taking the road via Limerick.

Limerick is a great place to stop to break up the long drive. Enjoy the vibrant cultural life, sample some foodie delights in the Milk Market and pay a visit to Thomond Park, a place of rugby legend.

I've also found these discussions on our forum which might hold some useful information for you;
I hope this will help your planning to approach its final shape! :)

Do you have some activities planned yet for your time at Tralee/Killarney with your friends?

Groeten,
Joris

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 18 Nov 2018 6:56 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Joan,

Again thank you so much for your information. Absolutely useful!
I think using both ways will be great and varied as well, so that's what we probably will do.

I will add Adare to my list, looks like a good place to stop on our way to Galway.

Thanks again!

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 18 Nov 2018 7:13 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Joris,
Thank you very much as well for the helpful information! The more information the better :)

I will have a good look at the links you send me, great! I might visit Adare ánd Limerick, would you advise me to do an overnight stay or more like a stop for a couple of hours?

We haven't planned any activities yet for Tralee/Killarney, for now just meet up and of course enjoy the great nature over there :)

Groeten,
Padraigh

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 18 Nov 2018 8:58 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Padraigh,

How much time to spend in the Adare and Limerick area all depends on what you would like to see and do there. :) Adare is of course famous for its picturesque and lovely thatched roof cottages, and in Limerick you can find lots of history, delicious food and wonderful views. It's even possible to spend the night in one of the cosy Adare cottages. 

When you're in Killarney, I would definitely recommend exploring Killarney National Park

If you need any other tips, please don't hesitate to give us a shout. We're always here to help. 

Vriendelijke groeten,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Nov 2018 12:31 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Melin,
Thank you very much for your information. Spending a night in one of those cottages seems very interesting, I might do that! And perhaps spend some time during the day in Limerick as well exploring those views and taste that delicious food :)
I will have to read more about those places first.

I love the Killarney National Park, I've been there several times before, but never get enough of it.

I do appreciate all of your help here, although now I have too many options for too less time :D

Thanks again!