Musical tour of Ireland by bike

Musical tour of Ireland by bike

Author
Posted Mon 22 Apr 2019 2:39 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I'm looking to do a month long bicycle tour of Ireland with a strong focus on listening to traditional Irish music.
Tell me everything; where to rent a bike, traditional music festivals, must see bands/venues.
Also, looking for a good mix of accommodations, some hostels, some inn/pubs, some B&Bs.

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 22 Apr 2019 8:56 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Dee,

That sounds like a wonderful idea for a way to combine a cycle tour with some of our trad music locations!

Cycling is very popular on the island of Ireland and a super way to get back to nature and enjoy a slowcation visit. We have several community posts regarding cycling on the island of Ireland and also on musical locations which would be great places to start with making your plans.

Have you any ideas as to where you will start and finish your time with us?

There are lots of festivals happening across the island of Ireland, there is a handy search page where you can enter dates and see what is happening or have a look at the full list before you narrow down the dates.

It is possible to rent a bike during your time with us, Wild Atlantic Sports, for instance, have some self-guided routes as well as hiring bikes which may be of interest. Again, it depends on where you intend to start as to where you rent your bike. You may even find as you are with us for a month, bringing your own bike may have its advantages!

For suitable accommodation as you travel, please have a look at our approved accommodation search page. You can enter a destination and choose a suitable type such as B&B, Hostels, from the drop-down menu.

I hope this gives you lots of inspiration, and hopefully, your fellow members and some industry partners will be able to add to this list with some suggestions of their own!

Speak soon, 

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 24 Apr 2019 12:07 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
Hello Dee

If you get the weather we're having at the moment you couldn't pick a better way to see Ireland - no matter when you come you'll have no problem getting parked!  There are lots of venues who offer traditional music sessions, some who advertise and others who just decide the weather and the craic's great so let's just have an open-mic music and sing-song. You can download details from various sites:

Discover NI - discovernorthernireland.com/things-to-do/entertainment/music/music/
The Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council produces the What's On Guide which details all events in the area from April to December.  You will find details of traditional music on page 79 and a plethora of other things to see and do - www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/CCG_WhatsOnGuide_2019.pdf.

Our online Accommodation Guide can be found at www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/CCG-Accommodation-Guide-Final.pdf - this details all types of accommodation alphabetically town by town.  If you need any assistance please call Coleraine Visitor Information Centre on 
+44(0) 28 7034 4723.

When you arrive on the North Antrim Coast you should call in to any of the local Visitor Information Centres as we will have up-to-date information on venues who run musical events during the summer months. We have insider knowledge that we want to share!

Just to let you know - two exceptionally busy times on the North Coast - which you may want to come and join, or avoid - are the North West 200 motorbike race from 12 - 18 May and particularly, the Open Championship golf tournament which is running from 14 - 21 July. Any other time we're just busy!!

I know you will find a very warm welcome wherever you travel in Ireland, North and South, and I hope you have a wonderful time. 

Best wishes.

Jan

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 18 Feb 2022 12:08 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 18 Feb 2022 12:06 PM Visits: 7
Charlie's Bar in Enniskillen has a Live Traditional Session every Sunday from 7.30pm. Well worth a visit!! 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 18 Feb 2022 2:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
March sees the launch of Ballycastle’s Trad Trail – every Saturday 4pm-6.30pm. 

As a group, you will be guided by two skilled local musicians who will not only play for you, but also share their knowledge of and passion for traditional instruments, tunes, songs and dance.  The evening will start in a pub at the seafront before heading up into the heart of the town for two more venues.  

For more information click on https://discovernorthernireland.com/things-to-do/ballycastle-traditional-music-trail-p775281 

You’ll be very welcome!
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 28 Aug 2023 8:23 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 12
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 22 Mar 2024 10:34 AM Visits: 269
That's an interesting way to learn about Irish music, just leave a little more energy to dance to the tune of concertinas and fiddle.