McIntyre of Ireland - Origins

McIntyre of Ireland - Origins

Author
Posted Tue 5 Nov 2019 1:22 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I have been researching the Origins of McIntyre and following the DNA tribal markers, we go back to and before the Northern Uí Néill who are said to have built the fort, Grianán Aileach in Co. Donegal long before we became a clan named McIntyre. It was, for a long time, the Royal fort of the Ui Néill (pronounced Hy Niall) from whom Niall of the Nine Hostages was the ancestor. Also known as Niall Naoi-Ghiallach (also spelt Noígíallach), Niall is the eponymous ancestor of millions around the world today. 
The McIntyre Clan are also traced back to the Clanna Dedad to Erc (Eirc) of Dál Riata (aka Dálraida) who ruled for a time until his death in 474 AD. Erc's mother was Saraid, daughter of Conn Céthatchach (Conn of the Hundred Battles) ancestor of the Ui Néill, who married Conaire Cóem of the Clanna Dedad. Conaire Cóem became ruler after Conn before Conn's son Art mac Cuinn took the throne. 
Art mac Cuinn was the ancestor of the Connachta and the Northern and Southern Ui Néill through his descendants. Uí Néill did not, by its very nature, come into use until the time of Niall's grandsons and great-grandsons. 

The McIntyre Clan is descended from one of Niall's sons, Éoghain (Eoghan/Eoghain) eponymous ancestor of the Cenél nEoghain. From the Cenél nEoghain and Cenél Conaill, the Northern Ui Néill came about.

One of the descendants of the Northern Ui Néill was Murdoch (or Maurice) mac Neill (sometimes shown to be Niall), whose mother was a sister of Somerled, known in Middle Irish as Somairle, Somhairle, and Hairline, and in Old Norse as Sumarliði, a mid-12th-century warlord who, through marital alliance and military conquest, rose in prominence and seized control of the Kingdom of the Isles that was once Dál Riata.

Mac Neill, a wright and carpenter, helped secure the marriage of his uncle Somerled to Ragnhild, daughter of Olav the Red, Norse King of Mann and the Isles thus being bestowed a clan by Somerled to be known as Mac-an-t-saoir. later to become McIntyre (MacIntyre). The clan went onto eventually settle at Glen Noe in Argyll. I am still researching.

At some time in history, the McIntyres from whom I descend, "returned" to Ireland, settling in Co Antrim at Clonkeen near Randalstown. Unfortunately, with most records before 1864 unavailable, I am unable to go back further than my 3rd Great Grandparents, Robert McIntyre and Florence Lewis, both born late 1700's or 1st decade of the 1800's. Perhaps Robert's father was the "returnee".

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 5 Nov 2019 11:16 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Rhel, 

First of all, it is amazing that you've been able to find out so much about your McIntyre roots already. In particular, the connection with Grianán Aileach in Donegal is very special! 

Have you by any chance been in touch with the genealogy centre in County Antrim yet? Before 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records; while some of these have regrettably been lost over the years, all the surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres. They might be able to help you with search even further. 

I've personally heard the name here in Belfast before and it doesn't seem to be very common as you can see here on Griffith's Valuation map. 

Do you happen to know anything else about Robert and Florence? Any (birth)dates, names of children, parents etc?

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 5 Nov 2019 11:10 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hello Melin.

Thank you for such a quick reply and letting me know of the Genealogy centre. Up until now, I've been searching on RootsIreland and Ulster Historical Foundation websites as well as the Irish Genealogy website.

Robert and Florence were my 3rd Great Grandparents; their son Robert (b. 1829) married Sarah Anne McCormick (McCormicks too share the same DNA tribal markers with the McIntyres). Robert and Sarah's son Robert (b. 1870) married Esther Morrow of Ballymena. Robert and Esther emigrated to NZ, Robert arriving first on 2nd Jan 1900, followed by Esther and their two children in 1902, arriving 8th Sep 1902. The children were Robert and my Grandfather, George Luke.

My Great Grandfather's older sister, Sarah Catherine married Robert McBride whose Grandson is Willie John McBride. Willie John's father, William was my Grandfather's 1st Cousin. Interestingly, Robert McBride's brother, Samuel married Mary Porter, my Grandmother Mac's Aunt.
In the book "Willie John: The Story of My Life", Willie John spoke of his friendship with All Black player, Kelvin Tremain. Kelvin was for a time, Dad's stock agent. Small world.

I have birth dates etc for all except Robert and Florence.

I will get onto the Genealogy centres, Merlin. Thank you so much for that heads up. We kiwi macs still have relatives in Northern Ireland and the family farm on Clonkeen Rd is still run by the McIntyres. And we keep in touch. The McIntyre farm in NZ, named Clonkeen is still in the family as well, currently run by Dad's cousin. One day, his son will take over and hopefully the grandson will follow. 

Kind regards
Rhel McIntyre

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 6 Nov 2019 9:51 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Island of Ireland
That's great, Rhel! I really hope the genealogy centre can provide you with more insight. Keep us all here posted on your findings! :) 

My favourite page to look for Church (and Civil records) is Irish Genealogy, but as you might have noticed yourself, you can't always find everything there. Luckily there are the genealogy centres who can provide help here. 

Again, it's amazing that you already have so much information on the ancestors who left Ireland for New Zealand, and that you still keep in touch with the McIntyre family here! Have you ever had the chance to visit them? I'm happy the family farm in New Zealand is still in the family, and I hope this will stay this way for many generations to come. 
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 23 Nov 2019 9:51 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Rhel

I too am a McIntyre and now in Australia, and my line is also from a Robert in Country Tyrone, that returned or came from Scotland, although there are only stories of this happening and no information to back it up. I found this thread via Facebook, as another member of a group McIntyre's of Ireland came across it. If you are on Facebook please join so we can all help each other with the Jigsaw. Aside from that, do you have a Gedmatch number? Would be great to run a comparison. Have you considered a Y DNA? If you have then I suspect we are not connected, but if not it may be something to consider. Anyway, it was great reading and look forward to more as you find new discoveries. https://www.facebook.com/groups/MacAntSaoir/
Elizabeth Alexandrou (nee McIntyre)

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 24 Nov 2019 12:33 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Elizabeth.I
I have just requested  to join The McIntyres of Ireland. Thank you for the heads up.
As I have not been able to find records for Robert and Florence, it is possible they may have come to Co. Antrim from County Tyrone.I
 think it is now time to do a Y DNA test as it may help with my search to fill the gap between the ancestors in Scotland and Ireland, perhaps even, to get info on Robert and Florence. 
And no, haven't a GEDmatch number - I haven't uploaded my DNA results to GEDmatch, but will do that shortly. I have found matches in Ancestry though and surprisingly, some in NZ! On both Dad's and Mum's side. 
Thank you for making Contact, Elizabeth. I will stay in touch.

Kind regards
Rhel McIntyre

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 24 Nov 2019 2:24 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Rhel, Ancestry DNA does not go back as far as Gedmatch or Y Dna. So will be looking forward to seeing the results and if any matches. I have many Roberts in My tree, no names match up. But look forward all the same, who knows.

Elizabeth.

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 24 Nov 2019 7:13 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Elizabeth.

Uploaded my DNA to GEDmatch. Just filling in spreadsheet Peter McIntyre set up - excuse my ignorance, but how do you set up Link to Ancestry tree as you have done, please? 

Rhel.
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 24 Nov 2019 2:33 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
Hi Rhel and Elizabeth, 

I hope that joining the McIntyre Facebook group, as well as the DNA test will provide more insight into your roots! Keep us posted on your findings, we'd love to see what you are able to uncover. :)
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 25 Nov 2019 12:26 AM
View Quick Profile
I see you got the link happening too, so was good to take a look, so far nothing seems to link, but Gedmatch may show an early connection.