I'd like to try camping in Ireland. What do I need to know?

I'd like to try camping in Ireland. What do I need to know?

Author
Posted Wed 23 Nov 2016 5:09 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
What does it take to be a happy camper in Ireland? It takes preparation for all weather conditions, the appropriate equipment, and knowing a little bit about where you’re going! We can help you with that, and then all you have to do is relax, pitch your tent, and enjoy the beautiful views!

Let’s start with the basics – to find your perfect campsite, check out the Caravan and Campsite Council, who have a network of over 100 parks across the island. Look around, check them out, and pick the one for you!

During the busy period (July to August), it’s strongly recommended that you book your pitch ahead of schedule. Outside of these times, it’s less busy, and certainly possible to turn up without pre-booking.

Most parks close for winter, but there are some that are open all year round – the Caravan and Camping Council can tell you more, but the Glen of Aherlow campsite, with its wooded canopies, and Wave Crest in Kerry, overlooking the coves and mountains of the Beara Peninsula, are highly recommended.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/23-11-2016/e82fdf12-f17f-4e83-befa-dde5.jpg

If you want to take a walk on the wild side and try out Ireland’s finest wild camping options, you may be a little limited – only tents are allowed, and most of the land is privately owned and used for grazing livestock.  However, Wicklow National Park, Ballycroy National Park, and various locations around the island
 are all available to try out. They feature stunning vistas, and provide that wilderness feel, waking up in the middle of the unspoilt countryside. But before you go, you must notify the park HQ, landowner, or government authority in advance, and adherence to the stringent Leave no Trace principle is mandatory.

If you’d prefer to go with something a little less rugged, you can try out some glamping options – the pods at Battlebridge in County Leitrim, the microlodges overlooking the lake at the Hidden Valley in Wicklow, and the log cabins by the pristine beach in Sir Rogers Caravan Park provide an incredible view for waking up on the Kerry coastline.

So now you have some of the information, all that's left is to choose what's right for you, and get out in to the great outdoors, and give it a go!